Father we pray for Your Wisdom & Understanding, in Your Word, concerning Your ideals for Biblical Christian marriage. Lord open the eyes of our understanding. Give us an understanding heart. Show us the importance, You place on believer’s marriage. Often we have some pit falls. Direct our steps, in Your ways. Teach us to love one another, Father; even as You first loved us.
- And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country, and dwelled between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar.
- 2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.
- 3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man’s wife.
- 4 But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
- 5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
- 6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
- 7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.
- 8 Therefore Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ears: and the men were sore afraid.
- 9 Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? and what have I offended thee, that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? thou hast done deeds unto me that ought not to be done.
- 10 And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What sawest thou, that thou hast done this thing?
- 11 And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife’s sake.
- 12 And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.
- 13 And it came to pass, when God caused me to wander from my father’s house, that I said unto her, This is thy kindness which thou shalt shew unto me; at every place whither we shall come, say of me, He is my brother.
- 14 And Abimelech took sheep, and oxen, and menservants, and women servants, and gave them unto Abraham, and restored him Sarah his wife.
- 15 And Abimelech said, Behold, my land is before thee: dwell where it pleaseth thee.
- 16 And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver: behold, he is to thee a covering of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, and with all other: thus she was reproved.
- 17 So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children.
- 18 For the LORD had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham’s wife.
(Gen 20:1-18 KJV)
Abraham & Sarah
As said earlier: –
Marriage is a covenant; between you and your spouse which is confirmed before God and man. When reading the account of Abraham, Sarah and Abimelech, we see God’s high regard concerning marriage, between the husband and his wife. In the beginning God created man. Male and female created He them. As husbands, we are commanded to love our wives as Christ loves the church.
Although I’m writing on this topic, I do not say; I have all the knowledge concerning marriage. As my wife and I’ve been married for twenty years, we’ve faced many tests and trials. I’m not saying we do not encounter many challenges or much difficulty. We have many tests and trials, in our marriage. Truth of the matter is; all of us experience inconsistencies, sometime or other; in our lifetime; or in our marriages.
Abimelech & Sarah
This is why; when Abraham said of Sarah being his sister; Abimelech took her to wife. Although Abraham had been at fault, the Lord kept Abimelech from sinning against him. The Lord appeared to him in a dream warning Abimelech, not to touch Sarah, because she is Abraham’s wife. He neither touched, nor came near her. The Lord kept her from being defiled. The Lord knew Abimelech’s uprightness of heart. Therefore because Abimelech, walked in the way of integrity; right standing before God, the Lord spared him, the consequences of his actions.
The Lord instructed Abimelech; to restore Sarah back to Abraham, her husband. Earlier the Lord warned him, told him that she is married to another (Abraham). He should not touch her, for if he does touch, come near to her; his life would be in danger. Remember God is Holy! He is Just, Righteous, loving, Merciful and Forgiving. He placed marriage there in the beginning. Marriage being defined through God; As one man and his wife. The two of them become one in spirit, soul and body.
God placed these principles, boundaries, between male and female, there Himself. This is why I say marriage, between the husband and His wife, is God’s idea; not man’s. God placed these instructions, right in the beginning. For this reason the man shall leave his father and mother, be cleaved to his wife, the two of them shall become one flesh (see Gen 2:20-25; Mt 19:5; 1Cor 7:1-5 & Eph 5:20-33).
This is why the Lord preserved him from wrong. Abimelech as said earlier walked in purity, uprightly before God and man. When the Lord instructed him to restore Abrahams wife, Abimelech acted accordingly. He also asked the Lord if He would, because of his innocent action, destroy a righteous nation? Because he had not acted, treated, Sarah in an unworthy manner, the Lord spared his house.
Abimelech restores Sarah
When the Lord instructed him to restore Sarah, Abimelech acted accordingly. He also spoke to Abraham; confronting him with this decision. Abraham told him why he acted thus. Abimelech; reminded Abraham of his fault. Through his restoration of Sarah to her husband, Abimelech opened his land, for Abraham to go, live where he wills. He showed grace and mercy toward Abraham’s house and Sarah, his spouse.
While restoring Sarah, to her rightful place, besides her husband. In so doing he gave Abraham gifts, thus reproving Sarah for her trouble. Abimelech restored Sarah, compensating her before Abraham and all the people. Abraham also prayed for Abimelech and his house. God heard, honoured Abraham’s prayer, healing all Abimelech’s house.
14 Then Abimelech took sheep and oxen and male and female slaves and gave them to Abraham and restored to him Sarah his wife.15 And Abimelech said, Behold, my land is before you; dwell wherever it pleases you.16 And to Sarah he said, Behold, I have given this brother of yours a thousand pieces of silver; see, it is to compensate you [for all that has occurred] and to vindicate your honor before all who are with you; before all men you are cleared and compensated.17 So Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech and his wife and his female slaves, and they bore children,18 For the Lord had closed fast the wombs of all in Abimelech’s household because of Sarah, Abraham’s wife. (Gen 20:14-18 Amp).